Phileas S1 – Islam for dummies

February 12, 2009 by
Filed under - The Phileas Club, .Episodes

Do you ever get tired of thinking in stereotypes and inaccuracies? I know I do, and my knowledge of Islam certainly is vague… but here’s an idea: how about sitting down with a Muslim and asking him all sorts of candid questions? Simple enough, right? But maybe you don’t have a Muslim right next door to ask him yourself. Well, fear not! The Phileas Club is here to help.

We asked Turki (our resident Saudi panelist) to take us on a tour of the Muslim faith. I also asked Scott (from Utah) to join the discussion and help us ask the best questions we could.
And to make this show even more special we enlisted the help of twitterers around the world, too! Thanks go out to all of those who were kind enough to answer the “instant questions” I asked.

So we hope you’ll learn a thing or two about Islam in this episode (or at least that you’ll have fun listening to Scott and I make fools of ourselves) and we’ll try to bring you more “for dummies” specials in the future.

(And by the way, if you enjoy comics that are made by a dummy, you should go check out Scott’s website.)

Listen to the show:

You can also use iTunes, the RSS feed or the the MP3 file.

Comments

17 Responses to “Phileas S1 – Islam for dummies”
  1. Samantha Jane says:

Thank you Patrick, Turki and Scott … awesome show as usual!

2. Adam says:

As a Muslim I think you all did an excellent job covering this subject. Turki you were great.

3. Fi says:

I really loved this, a great fair and relaxed conversation about Muslim faith.

4. Patrick says:

Thanks for the kind words guys, I’m glad you enjoyed the episode. And if you feel like helping to get the word out, please feel free to comment on iTunes.
    Thanks!

5. savant says:

It would be far more interesting if the college students set up a frat house in Saudi Arabia and documented Muslim tolerance.

6. Patrick says:

@Savant
    So… Are you trying to make the point that the religious police wouldn’t tolerate frat houses in Saudi Arabia?
    Well, I hate to be sarcastic about people who are kind enough to comment on my website (which I do appreciate very much), but I think this is kind of mean spirited, so I’ll be a tiny bit nasty in return: “Well done Captain Obvious! You’ve said what everyone already knew in an alienating comment that brings nothing to the conversation! Gee, thanks! :)

Ok seriously though: I don’t think anyone is saying we could all go binge drinking together, and we’ve been rather fair about the nature of the restrictions islamic governments put in effect.
    Your comment makes it feel like you are antagonistic of muslims in general, like you’re saying “I don’t care what you say, they are horrible” (admitedly, this is probably a common feeling).
    This episode wasn’t about trying to say that you should move to Saudi Arabia tomorrow, it was about trying to understand those who do live there a little bit better than with a statement like: “Dude! They would totally throw you in jail for having a frat party! And they kill you for eating bacon!”

Sorry if I missunderstood your comment, but that’s definitely what it feels like…

7. bryan says:

Enjoyed the show very much! Will you be covering other religions in a similar fashion? What about atheism?

8. Patrick says:

We might do other religions at one point, but for the next one I’m thinking about doing something along the lines of “political colors”. Maybe “Socialism for dummies” or something like that. We’ll see.

9. dan says:

Great show, as always, and thanks for holding an hour-long, very civil, very informative discussion on a topic that has seen very little public discussion that could be called civil or informative.

One correction, if I may, Scott said that the Rapture is a Catholic idea, but the Catholic Church (along the main-line protestant churches, the reformed wing of the Baptist church, and, yes, the LDS) are amillenial or premillenial, meaning they believe the Second Coming is a singular event–Jesus shows up, woo-hoo, thousand years of awesomeness follows.

Rapture theology belongs to a specific branch of evangelicalism called Dispensationalism, which holds Christs’ return will happen in two phases, the private event (Rapture), followed by 7 years of plauges and suffering (the tribulation), followed by Christs public return. Despite its rather deep penetration into the popular culture (thanks a lot, “Left Behind”) there are very few churches that actual practice Rapture theology, and the ones that do tend to fall on the far end of the fundamenalist/biblical literalist spectrum.

10. Julien says:

Thanks for the show, it reminded me of the discussions i’ve had with friends from Tunisia. I’d like to recommand a movie i’ve watched tonight, just before listening to the show. It’s call Jesus Camp, may be you’ve heard about it Patrick. It shows the indoctrination of children into the evangelic church. The main protagonist of the movie is a minister to children. She refers often to islam and the way she believes children are raised in it.

Thanks again, please forgive my english, i’m writing from france and i’m afraid i’m not as gifted as patrick for foreign langages.

just one last thing, i never miss an episode of the instance or azeroth.fr, keep up the good work guys.

Et patrick, le phileas club est probablement ton show le plus abouti et le plus intéressant. Ce qui évidemment ne veut pas dire que les autres ne le sont pas. Continue comme ça, et chapeau pour l’accent !

11. Ahsan says:

Quran say ‘there is no compulsion in religion’, therefore if someone does decide to chnage his religion, then it’s between him and God.

12. Patrick says:

@Dan
    Thanks for the details!

@Julien
    I meant to see Jesus Camp but I never got round to it. You’ve convinced me I should, and I will!

13. Ahsan says:

Hi All, If anyone is interested in knowing more about real islam visit http://www.alislam.org – Ahmadiyyah movemnt in islam was established by Mirza ghulam Ahmad of Qadian (Idia) who claimed to be the long awaited Messiah. This mvent was established just over 100 years now and has speard over 190 countries around the world. Our Moto is ‘Love For All Hatred For None’

14. Julio says:

A bit late on the comments, but thanks guys for this show, I learned a lot from it. I think it is a great idea to have more “… for dummies” shows. I think Patrick said on the last show he was thinking about “Republicans for Dummies”? I also like the idea of “Atheism for Dummies” being an atheist my self

Cheers,
    Julio

15. MD says:

I am also a bit late in responding to this show. I started listening to this podcast as a result of listening to The Instance. =0) This is the first episode I listened to. I have heard the following episode as well. I enjoy them. The reason I am writing now is because something has been nagging at me this entire time. A couple ofcomments that were made on this show regarding Catholic beliefs were misinformed. Specifically, regarding comments about baptism. My impression was that the guests just believe that Catholics think that babies are born with sin as opposed to other faiths that think babies are born innocent. This is misinformed. (the following are not in my own words but from a website)

Catholics believe we are born into “original sin,” we inherit it. If original sin is the source of our damnation then we are born with it. We don’t think children should be without the grace of Jesus. That is why Catholics baptise babies “in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Ghost.” …
    …Surely I was born sinful, a sinner when my mother conceived me. (Psm 51:5)

…We believe something very profound and tangible happens during Baptism. We believe the Bible when it says that Baptism washes away sin. (Acts 22:16) So for us, it is not as much about what we give during baptism (i.e., a profession of faith) but it is about what we get, which is salvation. We believe this salvation is for babies too. Jesus said “let the little children come to me.” (Lk 18:16)
    I encourage folks to check out this website or another reputable website to get the full picture and the reasoning for these beliefs.

I also have issues when people bring up the Crusades when anyone asks them a tough question about Islam. Islam has it own history of invasion/plundering and pillaging but with out the all encompassing name. Which incidentally is what started the Crusades to begin with.

ps Patrick I appreciate the way you stood up for women

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] The Phileas Club – S1. Islam for dummies. [...]

2. [...] aren’t bad runs, right? We’ll always have the memories (some silly, some horrific, some fascinating), and if I ever find a way to bend the space-time continuum to get more hours out of a [...]